|Posted on January 7, 2014 at 12:05 AM|
So I have finally completed my major revision of "Brothers in Arms." Those of you reading chapter by chapter will want to start over from the beginning; yes, I'm serious. I have a whole new approach that I think makes the story work much better and not only keeps it moving more effectively, but makes it flow better and emphasizes the points I want to focus on.
In the process, the astute will notice that my pages are less though my word count is about equal. I cut almost 7000 words of text from the original; a sequence where Shaundar and Yathar were in the Realms. I liked it, but it really had nothing to do with the story I was trying to tell, and with the new approach, I was able to cut it entirely. "Never do anything which is of no use," and as they say in writing, never use three words when you can use two. So - gone. I find that sort of thing challenging so I'm pretty proud of myself, but I did save it, and it will likely be expanded into a short story later.